Chad Morris honored, willing to listen, but 'extremely happy here'

The Clemson Sports Blog

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris congratulates tight end Brandon Ford after he scored during the second quarter at Memorial Stadium in Clemson.

Photo by Ken Ruinard

For Chad Morris, it sounds as if his season on the carousel is done.

Most of the plum jobs have been plucked, and the one that looked to have his name on it went to a man well-footed in Texas football and with an better inside track to the Texas Tech job.

Morris listened, because that's what aspiring head coaches do.

During the process, Morris has talked with his players, keeping them abreast of the news as he's interviewed for head coaching positions.

And he's juggled his own hectic week while still doing his job in preparing the Tigers for their Chick-fil-A Bowl date with seventh-ranked LSU.

Morris won't be available to the media until after practice on Saturday, but he did comment on his situation on Thursday in a video interview with Clemson's official website.

He called the interest of other schools "an honor."

"It says a lot about our program, and it says a lot about Coach Swinney and what he is building here and the success we have had," Morris said. "As anyone does in their profession, if someone calls and you have aspirations to move up or be a head coach one day, which I do eventually, when that time is right, you listen.

"I know there was so much speculation that I interviewed several places when I didn’t. When people call and talk on the phone and ask what my interest level is you listen and talk to people. And you can’t fault someone for doing that, especially when it just shares with what special we have going on here."

Morris said he and his family are "extremely happy here."

"We love Clemson," he said. "My wife, Paula, MacKenzie, and Chandler we absolutely love Clemson. We know it would take a very special, unique situation to ever get us out of here because of the commitment level they have made.

"But you have to listen, and I did that. It wasn’t the right time, and it wasn’t the right fit. Again, we are happy to be where we are."

Morris signed a new contract last year that made him the nation's highest-paid assistant coach, and which virtually precludes him leaving to take another coordinator's position, while leaving the door open for him to pursue head coaching jobs.

Morris' immediate task ahead is to help the Tigers shore up their recruiting for the 2013 stretch run, and prepare his offense for a breakthrough performance against of the of the nation's best defense.

Glad you are willing to listen.
So here's what you do:
Mix in some two back sets. Bring in a fullback,or at least a powerful H-back who is versatile enough to pick up short yardage, block, and be used as a tight end as the situation requires. Secondly, accelerate the development of Chad Kelly.
Thirdly, if the running game is working, don't ever abandon it.
And finally, when you have a speed advantage, use it.
I don't know a fraction of what you know about offense, but I am sure these tips will help.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

Okay, what two back set? I? off set I. off set to the formation or away? What formation? Into the boundary or the field? Against which fronts? What plays should we run? Iso? Power? Counter? Inside zone? Stretch? Option? And if option, which one? Mid lines. Veer? Outside veer? Speed option? Belly? Sprint? Who should we read? Does LSU play more safety force or corner force? Where should we run them a. Way down and distance? What area of the field? Who should we run at? The 1 Tec? The 3. Maybe the 7.
I am not trying to pick on you, but could you imagine coach Morris telling.....Jack legget when to hit and run, when to bunt, steal, etc? Or if he showed up at your job, where I assume you are a professional at what you do and say, "I know I don't know nearly as much as you, but maybe you should...."

These are variables to be contemplated by the man making 1.3 million per year and calling dive plays against usc in the second half.
But since you asked, I'd go with the I, especially in short yardage, so the FB can either plunge for the first down or make the lead block. Be unpredictable within a basic framework of power plays. Belly plays, yes, but generally on a limited basis to set up play action. In other words, try it, but if it isn't there, don't waste entire possessions running for a yard at a time between the tackles.
Triple option, absolutely. Tajh is a better passer on the move anyway. And he can run.
Look for opportunities to the wide side. That is what I mean about using your speed advantage when you have one. The jet sweep that was effective early in the season wasn't used in the SC game, was it? Sammy Watkins is fast. Give him a head start by sending him in motion, flip him the ball and watch him go.

And do you really want to use Jack Leggett as the example of the coach who doesn't need to reconsider his strategy? Are you kidding me right now?

MyTwoSENSE writes:

You didn't get it. The point is, you would be quite annoyed if i came and told you how to perform your job. Regardless of pay. Secondly, not a lot of play action off of belly. Belly IS a form of triple option. Third, unless you are an expert in the field, never comment on someone else's job. It usually only points out your lack of expertise. Fourth, I sincerely hope you will be in Atlanta for New Year's Eve cheering for the tigers! And fifth, most important, merry Christmas!

in response to MyTwoSENSE:

No, you don't get it.
I don't care who is annoyed. If it takes annoying someone to see change, I hope to annoy.
I am annoyed by unimaginative play-calling and strategies that result in defeats to any opponent with a defense.
If you enjoyed the losses to FSU and USC, good for you.
If you thought the play calls were what they should have been, you are surely no expert.
Examining the failures is part of the process for improvement.
Cheers.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

in response to Bigboots:

No, you don't get it.
If you enjoyed the losses to FSU and USC, good for you.
Examining the failures is part of the process for improvement.
Cheers.

What play calls specifically? And please, tell me where we were on the field, the hash, the down and distance, the defensive front, the coverage, and then explain why you feel like your specific play, from your specific formation, from your specific motion or shifts or both (and why you do those shifts and motions) with what amount of time on the clock, with or against the wind, etc. I am no expert. That's why I ask. Don't get me wrong, I was just as frustrated with those losses as you were. I just feel like a general, "we need to start winning against good teams" is enough. You mentioned specific backfield sets. I want to know why. If you don't have a reason that is specific to the situation, then why ask for them? If you said, I wish we had a more effective short yardage offense when we need it. I'd say, "hey,you're right, boots, that's embarrassing". But to give specific sets or formations is beyond the fan's scope or expertise. That's all.

The wind? Seriously.
The wind.
I don't think the wind was a factor in our loss to usc.
Sorry you missed the game. You should probably find a recording and have a look at what futility looks like.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

in response to Bigboots:

The wind? Seriously.
The wind.
I don't think the wind was a factor in our loss to usc.

Bless your heart, boots. Bless your heart.

Playing USC, we didn't have the "horses" up front on either side of the line of scrimmage.

Can't imagine it being any different against LSU.

in response to 33dtb:

Can't imagine it being any different against LSU.

If we play just to keep it close, as we did against SC, the odds are not good. Conservative calls will spell defeat. Especially power plays from finesse formations.

And twosense, the forecast is for calm wind conditions in the Georgia Dome, so don't worry too much about the wind.
Goodness sakes. The wind.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Goodness sakes. The wind.

I gave you a list of things that effect play calling. You concentrate on the one that was not a factor. But not the rest that have meaning every play, every game. You started this by making your stupid comment, without the ability to back it up. You asked the offensive coordinator to use a specific backfield set without a reason that is supported by football knowledge. Then, when confronted with several factors that go into calling plays, you find the one that wasn't relevant in the two losse we had and pointed it out. You did not have anything to say about the very many other factors that i listed. You have, therefore, won this argument for me. Write whatever response you want, because I know you are never wrong in your own mind. You are wrong and unable to admit it.

The wind? LOL!
It has to be a pretty strong wind to stop the run.
The wind.
By the way, the word is "affect".
The wind, indeed.

Bill61 writes:

Dang Bigboots mytwosence just made a horses rear out of you. Sounds like he knows his football a lot more than your smart rear.
You can lay blame on the defense, offense, coaches or play calling but it doesn't take a genius to realize SC is a much better football team than Clemson. Better athletes and a lot more physical. Stronger and meaner. If Clemson wants to play with the big boys Clemson must recruit better and start over in the S&C department. SC recruits tough mean dudes and Clemson recruits just the opposite. LSU is a mirror of SC. Get ready for another rear kicking and Clemson can't do a darn thing about it.
One of the worst defensives in college football. Why, poor recruiting. Live with it.

No, it was the wind.
Just the wind.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

in response to Bill61:

Thanks bill, but no need. I wasted enough of my time trying to "affect" boots' opinion, but the "effect" it had was non existent. Go Tigers!

At least he learned something!
Still an apologist for lousy play selection, but that's the way the wind blows sometimes.