Clemson-bound Ben Boulware taking out his frustration on Shrine Bowl teammates

'I've always been a Clemson fan...My whole family has been there. I knew from the get-go that's where I wanted to be'

T.L. Hanna's Ben Boulware is honored on senior night.

Photo by Nathan Gray

T.L. Hanna's Ben Boulware is honored on senior night.

SPARTANBURG — Ben Boulware couldn't wait to get back on the football field.

The T.L. Hanna linebacker had not buckled the chinstrap since a 20-7 loss to Westside on Nov. 2 and was itching to unleash some pent up frustration.

The 6-foot-1, 226-pounder finally got that chance as practice for the 76th Annual Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas began on Monday at Spartanburg High School.

Boulware, a Mr. Football finalist and Clemson commitment, said it was a great feeling to be able to get his uniform dirty again.

"I'm fresh," he said. "We've been out of football for about a month, so I'm feeling good. I'm just trying to play hard and fast."

Boulware did just that this past season, recording 174 total tackles with 10 for loss, two sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries for the Yellow Jackets. He led the team in tackles in all 11 games and has been the leading tackler since his sophomore year.

Boulware hopes to continue his dominating ways in Saturday's game and is looking forward to facing all-star competition.

"We're the best players in both South Carolina and North Carolina," he said. "It's a lot better competition than I'm used to playing against, so I'm having fun."

The competition will only become tougher beginning next year at the Division I level. Boulware welcomes the challenge and is ready to suit up for the Tigers.

"I want to be that old school, hard-nosed linebacker," he said. "I'm not dissing on our dudes, but I guess they've been missing that lately. I hope I can go and bring a new style in there."

Clemson has surrendered 24. 9 points and 411 yards per game going into its Chick-fil-A Bowl contest against LSU on New Year's Eve at the Georgia Dome.

South Carolina coach Ray Stackley said Boulware exhibited that approach during Monday's practices.

"He's a little rusty, but getting himself in good shape," Stackley said. "He's very active. He gets downhill good. … Ben is a Division I commit to Clemson, and you've been able to see why today."

Boulware believes the freshman class coming in will help steer Clemson toward becoming a better defense and is excited to play for his favorite team since childhood.

"I don't talk to a lot of them, but I know they've got some athletes that can move around and hit pretty good," he said. "I've always been a Clemson fan. My brother is there. My whole family has been there. I knew from the get-go that's where I wanted to be."

justcurious writes:

cocky

cuGIZ82 writes:

Hopefully he is as good as he thinks he is...

He is EXACTLY what Clemson has been needing.
He will be a force against the run.
And he will know where he is supposed to be.
I love the attitude and the confidence.
He has earned it.

in response to Bigboots:

He is EXACTLY what Clemson has been needing.
He will be a force against the run.
And he will know where he is supposed to be.
I love the attitude and the confidence.
He has earned it.

Exactly Right
Friend of mine at the Anderson VA clinic said that the police were called out for a commotion in the neighborhood LATE on night and they found Ben Boulware harnessed to a large tractor tire and pulling it up and down the street.

He is rough and tough just like Clemson linebackers Used to be--------Back before the "late/great" brother-in-law was put in charge of our linebackers.
Need to touch base with ARKANSAS and see how that bunch is doing !

Bleedsorange writes:

in response to 33dtb:

Exactly Right

Need to touch base with ARKANSAS and see how that bunch is doing !

My little brother coaches him and I think I remember him mentioning that.

If we just had Nick Nikopoulos back from his unfortunate medical situation, God bless'im.