Looking west: Clemson fans keeping an eye on Lubbock as bowl prep continues

The Clemson Sports Blog

Coaches Brent Venables and Chad Morris enjoy the Fort Hill Clemson Club annual recruiting wrap-up dinner

To say that Clemson has a vested interest in the coaching search at Texas Tech would be an understatement.

Of the four top-of-the-list candidates initially identified by the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal on Sunday, two are Dabo Swinney's coordinators - Chad Morris and Brent Venables. The others are Baylor head coach Art Briles and Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, a former Texas Tech star who just helped coach Johnny Manziel to the Heisman Trophy.

The same paper reported that Morris was expected to interview for the job Monday.

Morris has his high school coaching roots in Texas and is a Texas A&M graduate, while Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt is a former college teammate of Venables.

Hocutt told the Avalanche-Journal on Sunday that he begins the search for Tommy Tuberville's replacement "with a sense of determination to get a leader in here who is committed to Texas Tech University, who wants to be ingrained with the fabric of Lubbock, with West Texas, and a winner.”

Texas Tech has developed an identity for its high-octane passing attacks, but Hocutt wouldn't commit to a particular offensive style being essential as he considers candidates.

“Fit is very important to me,” Hocutt said, “and I think finding the right fit for Texas Tech is critical at this point in time. We want a winner, leader, who is going to position us to compete at the highest levels competitively.

"Our goal is very simple. Our goal is to be the best college football program in the country, to compete for Big 12 championships and to compete for national championships. We’ve been at the top of the college football world before and we’re going to get back to the top.”

brookesdad729 writes:

And the saga contues...I believe that it will only come down to our 2 guys if Broyles or Kingsbury doesn't get the job!

MoncksTater writes:

When and in what capacity was Texas Tech at the "Top of the college football world" ? Im 43 and follow cfb religiously... don't ever remember the Red Raiders as anything but about the 4th best team in Texas. Anyone ?

michtiger writes:

Be nice if these over priced cordinators would spend their time planning fpr Bowl. Interview on their own time and money.

FlopEye writes:

Venables and Morris will be at Clemson
next year.

in response to MoncksTater:

Stupidly fired Mike Leach at Craig James' behest.

KIMOSAMI (Inactive) writes:

Yeah, Monck...same here. Nearest to the top I remember TT being is when they were HEADED that way with Mike Leach as coach. That had an unfortunately bad ending.

MyTwoSENSE writes:

in response to 33dtb:

Stupidly fired Mike Leach at Craig James' behest.

Stupidly fired? He mistreated his players. The final straw, locking Adam James in a shed like an animal. He denies it, but The players on the team supported the firing. That tells me it is probably true. I'm okay with tough love, but locking people in sheds? Come on man!

lhaselden writes:

in response to michtiger:

Neither Venebles nor Morris are overpriced the proof of that is how often their names are mentioned in head coaching job openings. Neither of these coaches are interviewing on Clemson's dime and I expect neither will interview without permission of Dabo and/or the Clemson AD. Obviously Dabo is hiring good people or this would not be happening...

Lynx26 writes:

Time for the plan B pill! I'm sure Dabo has a few guys in mind for his short list. But at the same time, I know its tough for him to sleep at night knowing the guys he put all his faith in.... are now hoping and willingly interviewing for jobs.

From here on out, I'd make my coordinators sign 3 year contracts. No ifs ands or buts about it... what ever happend to the loyal people like the BUD FOSTER's (VA TECH) of the world???

I'm not old school... im 26 but loyalty is what I was taught. I'm a firm believer in practice what you preach. The coaching changes do not benefit the kids, nor teach the meaning of family, respect, and loyalty.

As a former player, this would have me thinking about all of the possibilities of our new coaches... instead of playing the biggest game of the year (LSU).

I'll come coach and sign 3 years without interviews of any sort outside of our program. It's crazy out here fellas.

GO TIGERS!

kellytown writes:

This is what they have got into coaching for. I hope Brent and Morris the best what ever they decide. This is what i would like to see The drama to stop and the coaches doing what they are getting paid to do by CLEMSON get ready to play a very important game against a very good team in LSU. This is a distraction for our players we need to focus on this game I know its hard because our players know whats going on with Brent and Morris. I don't want no excuses either we beat LSU are we don't I don't want to here anyone say well its because our players didn't have their heads in the game because of whats going on with our coordinators. GO TIGERS BEAT LSU.

3:44 am? May want to get that prostate checked, bud.
And the sarcasm and attempts to lecture are stale.

The facts are that Morris and Venables do make a lot of money.
This is reportedly the top paid staff in the country.
And instead of preparing for a top ten opponent, the perception is that they are distracted by multiple job interviews. The fact that this follows a fourth consecutive defeat by SC makes the situation less acceptable, not to mention the memory of last year's Orange Bowl.

So, you see this is about Clemson football. It doesn't matter what the fans do to support their families, or how many jobs they have had. Few of them make 1.3 million dollars per year.
The fans are simply asking the staff to get the job done.

Lynx26 writes:

Lol @Boots! Just get the job done before you leave... Senn. That's all I ask.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

Just concentrate on the task at hand, if you're good enough, you'll be rewarded. I still say Morris checked out on us before USC.

in response to Lynx26:

GO TIGERS!

LOL
Bud Foster. The old geezer is a real commodity, isn't he? VT is doing so well,, and all.

Look, LSU is not the biggest game of the year. Nor is it the second biggest game of the year. What a joke. Third, perhaps.

As a former player, I can tell you there is no comparison between this game and the SC/FSU games. Get a clue.

It's crazy alright.

TRUETIGER1 writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

We have been out coached since Dabo's 1st USC Game and in every major game since. If Morris' head was in the USC game,then we really have a problem, maybe time for him to be someone else's problem.

sanford42 writes:

in response to sennmanthetigerfan:

(This comment was removed by the site staff.)

I agree - I believe experience is his problem. Just how many big games has he coached in. High school vs college is a huge jump both as a player and a coach. He was outcoached by some pretty experienced coaches.

BigBud52 writes:

I don't think Morris is ready, Brent has only been here 1 year so I really don't know. I do know that they are the 2 highest paid coord. in the country and they better think twice before leaving Clemson for any head coaching job. Remember,"The grass is always greener over the septic tank."

sportsfan writes:

I sure wished that interviews had to wait until after the bowl game. Its gonna be hard to keep the team focused. Dabo, put that in your next coordinators contracts. No interviews until season is complete.