Chad Morris says he isn't talking with South Florida

Chad Morris yells out a play in the fourth quarter

Chad Morris yells out a play in the fourth quarter

Chad Morris’ trip on this winter’s coaching carousel is never dull

Thursday night, Clemson's second-year offensive coordinator had to quell a report that he would interview with South Florida for its head coaching position

ESPN reported that Morris will interview with USF officials Friday regarding their head coaching vacancy, but Morris told The (Charleston) Post and Courier that he wasn't doing so, saying he was recruiting Friday, conducting Clemson's first bowl practice Saturday, and watching former Clemson tight end Dwayne Allen with the Indianapolis Colts Sunday.

South Florida is attempting to replace Skip Holtz, who was fired last week after completing his third season with a 3-9 record. South Florida finished the season with a desultory 27-3 loss to Pittsburgh before 18,441 fans, gaining just 117 yards of total offense, the lowest in program history.

Morris has revitalized Clemson’s offense in two seasons with his hurry-up, no-huddle attack. The Tigers finished the regular season in the top 13 nationally in scoring offense, total offense and passing offense.

Morris interviewed with N.C. State for its head coaching vacancy, which was filled by Northern Illinois’ Dave Doeren, and reportedly interviewed with Auburn for its vacancy, which was filled by Arkansas State’s Gus Malzahn, a Morris coaching mentor.

South Florida is an intriguing job. The Bulls share Raymond James Stadium with the NFL’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Florida is one of the most fertile recruiting areas in America.

Morris makes $1.3 million annually as the nation’s highest-paid assistant coach; last year, he signed a six-year, $7.8 million contract which has no buyout if he leaves for a head coaching position.

USF paid Holtz a $2 million annual salary, and is also responsible for a $2.5 million buyout over the next five years. School officials have said that money is a not a concern in their search, and they are open to head coaches and assistants.

USF reportedly interviewed Western Kentucky coach Willie Taggart this week, and former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden has also expressed interest in the job.

Morris is beginning to make a clown of himself.
Seventeen points in the last game, and he's looking for an escape hatch.
It seems obvious that his attention is on his bank account and not on a plan to improve the offense. LSU must love seeing him fly around to these B-list interviews.

TUN writes:

Mistake for Morris to leave at this point. He is not ready. I said that when the news came out of his interviewing for the NCS and AU jobs. He has a good thing at Clemson, has loads of offensive talent, excellent coaching staff, world-class facilities etc. and perhaps most important he needs to continue to build his resume. Right now it is still too thin in my judgment. Moreover, what message is this continued interviewing sending to our class of 2013 and 2014 that we have been so diligently pursuing? It can't help that I am sure.

KIMOSAMI writes:

Gone.

KIMOSAMI writes:

in response to TUN:

But I agree with you.

KIMOSAMI writes:

in response to KIMOSAMI:

Gone.

Staying put.

kellytown writes:

If he goes he goes good for him.I would like to see him stay. Now it seems to me that Chad is not all in and thats not what we need we need him 100% committed or he needs to take another job.But untill then he needs to get his A$$ in gear and do what he is getting paid very well to do..Coach.

I AM ALL IN!!!!
wait, i have an interview...back in a few days...
OK, I AM ALL IN AGAIN!,, LET'S DO THIS!!!
who's looking for a coach? they pay what? if you could just excuse me for a day or two...
OK. THEY WANTED MORE EXPERIENCE. SO WHO IS ALL IN WITH ME?

Bill61 writes:

I think you people should check your sources before you post. The man was contacted by all three jobs. He turned down interviews with Auburn and South Florida. The only job he interviewed with was NCS. I will repeat, he did not interview with Auburn nor SF. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. I guess he can put a lock on his phone.

TUN writes:

I think Morris will eventually end up at a major school like Malzahn has at Auburn and will be a great head coach but I think he would be wise to put in 4 to 5 years at Clemson first. That major job will be there given the high turnover rate we have all witnessed in recent years. Regardless of what happens against LSU, if Boyd and Hopkins come back next year (and if Hopkins is gone we have G HOP, Demarcus Robinson, Ryan Jenkins, and Mike Williams to join our current group of WR studs) and if we can get some rushing help from Tyshon Dye, Wayne Gallman etc. we should be able to make a legitimate run at another Division, ACC, and perhaps National Championship (with a little bit of luck). Why would Morris want to miss out on that opportunity? How many times do you get to coach All-Americans like Boyd (2012) and Watkins (2011)? My amateur advice: keep working, be patient, and wait for the right opportunity. Find a way to beat LSU, UGA, and SCAR and the right opportunities will abound.

The team's chances to improve next year are fairly good.
Hopkins will probably declare for the draft, which will hurt some.
If Watkins returns to form, as I expect, this will minimize the impact of Hopkins' departure.
As for Boyd, I think the team would actually benefit from his departure. He has done a fine job. Seems to be a guy who has given his all this year. Good character. Won some awards. I know. But Kelly is the the prototype for the current offense.
Addition by subtraction.