Chad Morris reportedly interviews with Auburn

Clemson offensive coordinator Chad Morris stands on the sidelines during the fourth quarter at BB&T Field in Winston-Salem, N.C.

— Clemson is expected to begin bowl practice on Saturday. The status of offensive coordinator Chad Morris should be a hot topic until then – and beyond.

According to AuburnUndercover.com, a 247Sports site which covers Auburn, Morris interviewed with AU officials regarding their head coaching vacancy Monday.

Other candidates include Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, TCU’s Gary Patterson and Arkansas State head coach Gus Malzahn. Malzahn was Morris’ mentor; both run the hurry-up, no-huddle offense, and Morris’ first collegiate job was replacing Malzahn as Tulsa’s offensive coordinator.

AU is seeking to replace Gene Chizik, who was fired following a 3-9 season, just two years after winning a BCS national championship.

Malzahn was Chizik’s offensive coordinator, but left following the 2011 season to become Arkansas State’s head coach. The Red Wolves are 9-3 this season, and won the Sun Belt regular-season title.

Morris is one of the nation’s hottest head coaching candidates. Last week, he interviewed with N.C. State, which hired Northern Illinois’ Dave Doeren on Sunday.

Morris makes $1.3 million annually as the nation’s highest-paid assistant coach; last year, he signed a six-year, $7.8 million contract which has no buyout if he leaves for a head coaching position.

Auburn has talent recruited by Malzahn to play in the hurry-up, no-huddle scheme, but there are potential clouds. Auburn is reportedly under investigation by the NCAA for recruiting improprieties which occurred under Chizik’s watch.

Do what you want.
I'd hate to have Nick Saban as my landlord.

Bleedsorange writes:

I've stressed my point before but until he can prove his offense against strong defenses, ie lsu or SC or whatever he will not get a head coaching job. Tweet that. Though I like our chances against lsu. Bring the criticism I welcome it. Te, Sennman, & Brooksdad I know you guys have my same thoughts.

Chad Morris, are you all in?
Are you having trouble making ends meet on 1.3 million per year?
Were you stoned when you were calling plays against SC?
You may want to cool it on the interviewing and think about plays outside the tackles and downfield. While you were interviewing, we scheduled a game with LSU.

TUN writes:

I don't blame Morris for interviewing but it is clear to me that he is not ready to be a head coach. His play calling against SCAR was questionable at times and no one can convince me that he worked hard enough to get Sammy Watkins the number of touches someone of his rare talent must get. Watkins went underutilized this year and that rests squarely on Morris's shoulders. Furthermore, as has been said here, until he can beat the big boys like SCAR, LSU, UA etc. he is not ready. In the meantime I am sure Dabo has his shortlist of OC lined up to direct this offense. In all of this Dabo is the key. He is the one with the golden touch in recruiting, developing, and assembling the coaching staff. I think when his career is all said and done he may go down as the best coach we've ever had. He is a winner pure and simple and if (really when) Morris leaves, he will find the next coaching gem and build from there. That is what all of the great coaches do. To be honest, with LSU staring square at us I am less concerned about Morris and more concerned about our defense and stopping their run attack than anything else.

cobra writes:

in response to Bigboots:

Chad Morris, are you all in?
Are you having trouble making ends meet on 1.3 million per year?
Were you stoned when you were calling plays against SC?

Why hate on the guy for taking advantage of the well earned opportunity to move up to a head coaching position? You and I would do the exact same thing. And for him I don't think it's about the money. I think it's more about getting the recognition he deserves by having total control of a program.

in response to cobra:

Of course he will get his shot. Somewhere, sometime.
But it is ALWAYS about the money.

Lynx26 writes:

I still like the guy as our OC... but I can't knock him for interviewing as a HC (outside of our conf). I wouldn't like facing him every year at NC State - glad he wasn't chosen.
Wherever he ends up, he'll take a few recruits with him, thats the crappy part.

But I just hope we replace him with some TOUGHNESS! Keep the spread, but cmon with the toughness!

Agreed on the need for a more physical style of play. We could use a fullback in situations where we need short yardage. Also can be used in max protect, or to double a pass rusher who keeps whipping the tackle's rearend ( see Clowney). Also can be used as a de facto TE or as a checkdown receiver. Chad, if you stay, why not give it a try?

kellytown writes:

I say go far it. If the opportunity presents itself take it, Hope you all the best this is whats its about.

Lynx26 writes:

in response to Bigboots:

agreed - nothing wrong with being traditional once and a while. Look at your top tier teams..... Bama, ND, LSU, Florida State, etc.